Moves so far
- Acquired 1B Prince Fielder and $30 million from the Tigers for 2B Ian Kinsler
- Signed OF Shin-Soo Choo to a seven-year, $130 million deal
- Signed C J.P. Arencibia to a one-year, $1.8 million deal
- Acquired OF Michael Choice and 2B Chris Bostick from the A’s for OF Craig Gentry and RHP Josh Lindbloom
- Re-signed C Geovany Soto to a one-year, $3 million deal
- Re-signed SP Colby Lewis to a minor league deal
- Signed RP Jose Contreras to a minor-league deal
- Interested in signing a starter to replace the injured Dereck Holland
- One of many teams bidding for SP Masahiro Tanaka
The Rangers made a lot of noise this off season when they traded their veteran 2B Ian Kinsler for 1B Prince Fielder. The deal just seemed to make too much sense for both teams. Not only does the deal fix the Rangers problems at first, but also it opens up a space for the Rangers once number one prospect, Jurickson Profar, to finally get regular playing time. Profar had been blocked by SS Elvis Andrus and Kinsler, and the consensus was one of the three were going tpo be traded. The fact they were able to bring back a proven MLB star in return for Kinsler makes it all the better.
The deal has its downsides. Fielder has a huge contract with seven years left on it. With his size, his playing career could take a decline earlier than most. Rangers may be hurting from this in four years, but for now, it was an amazing move for them.
The Rangers also brought in Shin Soo Choo this offseason, who was among the best free agent outfielders. He replaces the oft injured Nelson Cruz in right field. Choo is coming off a very good year, but he is also 31. Giving a 31 year old a seven year contract is always risky, especially with someone who has shown some inconsistencies in the past. Never the less, Shoo is an improvement in right field for now, and definitely makes this team better. The deal falls in the same category as the Fielder trade, good for now, but it may hurt in a few years.
Besides that, the Rangers resigned C Geovany Soto, and brought ion C J.P. Arencibia to compete. Neither are great options, but they are both capable of being good.
The Rangers also brought a few guys in on Minor League deals, including Colby Lewis and Jose Contreras.
Rangers need to find a starter to replace Holland now that he has had major surgery putting him out for most of this upcoming season. Tanaka seems unlikely, but guys like Bronson Arroyo and Ervin Santana are still on the market. Ranger need to jump on one of them.
Rangers get an A-, their offseason was good, but it also may come back to bite them in the offseason. There is no doubting they have improved vastly for this year though.
If Rangers make any moves, an update will be posted.
Next team is the Angels.