*DEAL WITH BALFOUR HAS OFFICIALLY FALLEN THROUGH*
Moves so far
- Traded 3B Danny Valencia to Royals for OF David Lough
- Traded Closer Jim Johnson to Athletics for 2B Jemile Weeks
- Signed RP Ryan Webb to 2 year deal for $4.5 million
- Signed Closer Grant Balfour to 2 year deal for $14 million (Deal Reportedly in Jeopardy)
- There was a problem with the physical that may nullify the Balfour deal
- There seems to be an issue with his shoulder
- Orioles are interested in 1B/DH Kendrys Morales
Orioles will never be big spenders, but with a group of promising young players, they have found a way to be competitive in the AL East under manager Buck Showalter. Their biggest issue has been starting pitching.
So far, they have failed to address that, but unless the Balfour deal does indeed fall apart they have managed to improve in other areas.
Ryan Webb is one of the better non closer relievers in the game. This move stabilizes the middle of their bullpen.
The trade for David Lough may quietly be one of the best trades of the off season. One unnamed American League general manager said this about the deal “he can do everything that Nate McLouth does. He might end up being an even better hitter than McLouth.”
Lough is a sneaky good player. Isn’t flashy, he won’t put up huge numbers, but he is the type of scrappy, all-around player that can be the final piece to a very good lineup.
The Jim Johnson deal was a dud at first, they didn’t get much back, and it was more or less a salary dump. After they signed Balfour, it looked like it was going to be a win, Balfour is an upgrade over Johnson. If the Balfour deal falls apart though trading Johnson could be a disaster, unless they can find someone else to step into the closer role.
The O’s get a B+ if the Balfour deal stands. If the deal collapses, it will be dropped to a C+.
When there is news, this will be updated.
Next team up is the Rays.
- Report: Shoulder puts Balfour, O’s deal in doubt (tracking.si.com)
- O’s trade Valencia for Lough (edbandell.wordpress.com)
- Orioles Fill Closer Void With Signing Of Grant Balfour (mlbreports.com)