Moves so far
- C Brayan Pena signed to a two-year deal worth $2.275 million
- 2B/OF Skip Schumaker signed to a two-year deal worth $4.5 million
- Traded C Ryan Hanigan, an to Rays received SP prospect David Holmberg (3 team deal)
- Receiving offers for 2B Brandon Phillips
- Still interested in re-signing OF Shin-Soo Choo and SP Bronson Arroyo
- OF Brett Gardener a possible trade target, maybe involved in a deal with Phillips
The Reds came into the offseason with a limited payroll. They seem to have decided to wait to use the space they do have to see if they can convince Choo and Arroyo to re-sign.
Choo is asking for a deal similar to what Ellsbury got with the Yankees. In fact, the Yankees offered Choo a deal similar to Ellsbury, just for less money, and Choo turned it down. That appears to be a mistake now, since no other team has offered him a similar deal as of yet. On top of the money he wants, a team that signs him would also have to give up a first round pick. This gives the Reds a slight edge in signing him since he was with them last year. Other teams interested include the Rangers, who offered him a five year deal, and the Astros.
They also seek to resign Arroyo, who has been one of their most consistent pitchers the last few years. They have offered him a one year deal, but Arroyo is still testing the waters.
Reds signed a couple backup players to add depth. C Brayan Pena will most likely back up C Devin Mesoraco. Either Util Skip Schumaker will step into a role off the bench for the Reds, or if Brandon Phillips is traded, he could become the starting 2B.
They also traded backup C Ryan Hanigan, and got SP prospect David Holmberg back in return. Holmberg has a 3.4 era through 5 seasons in the minors.
The Reds entire offseason hinges on getting Choo and Arroyo to resign, if they don’t, then this offseason was a loss. If they leave, then this offseason was a bust.
Reds get a D if they miss out on Choo and Arroyo. If they do get them back, they get a C.
If Reds make any moves, this will be updated.
Next up is the Cubs.
- Playing Fact or Fiction with the Latest Cincinnati Reds Rumors (bleacherreport.com)
- Bernie: Cards winning NL Central offseason (stltoday.com)
- Reds send Hanigan to the Rays in another three team trade (baseballreflections.com)
- MLB Offseason Grades (wdsu.com)